Twitter Feed This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Social media can get quite dark, and the world around us is pretty scary at times. But in her fiction piece “Twitter Feed,” Kierstyn Cummando envisions it on a whole different level. The story begins calmly with an innocent tweet from CNN wishing followers a happy Friday and recommending an article to start their morning off. Suddenly, another tweet storms the feed, claiming a miracle has occurred: the body of a “dead” person arose from its deathbed, jaw unhinged and heart still asleep. The story continues until another corpse has been “resurrected” by the virus DTZ-1. The world begins to crumble behind the cell phone screen, the virus of the undead spreading like a nasty cold across all seven continents. The apocalypse has arrived. And by god, was it written masterfully.

This piece deserves high praise. Kierstyn created a unique piece that was interesting to read, and I’m glad Teen Ink had the smarts to publish it. It was an ambitious idea, executed perfectly. I hope this story encourages others with creative ideas to write a piece like this or, better yet, create their own special way of writing. Overall, I’d give it four zombies out of five, I mean uh, 4 DTZ-1 victims out of five.