Verbal Harassment This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Verbal Harassment” by Isabella Winkler is a beautiful short work about how she was verbally harassed by a group of boys on her way to school. I loved the piece because it was real and very honest.

As a female teenager, I could relate it to my own experiences walking to my school or the store. However, one sentence made my eyebrows furrow. Isabella writes: “Now, just a heads-up, I don’t consider myself to be one of the types to get a boy’s attention ….” This sentence weakens the author’s argument. Don’t get me wrong. Her experience is 100 percent valid. She should have never been harassed. But to imply that a girl’s “type” plays a role in the likelihood that they’ll be harassed, seems wrong. Even if you’re a heartbreaker, a player, or a flirt, you don’t deserve to receive negative attention, or to be harassed. No girl should.

AEwriter said...
Nov. 16 at 5:37 pm
Wow, thank you proving a slight shift in that article. I am not a girl but I don't like when people refer to their 'type'. It was a good article though. Good job.

qwertyuiopasdfghjkThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 14 at 6:38 pm
THIS IS SO GOOD IM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!

alsouThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 26 at 7:24 pm
Helene!!!!!! I love this so much what an ICON