Feedback on No, You Can't Say the N-Word | Teen Ink

Feedback on No, You Can't Say the N-Word

September 24, 2017
By devonjss BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
devonjss BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

  "No, You Can't Say the N-Word" by Chidinma Agbo, is an article about non-black individuals that want to say the N-word, and why these individuals shouldn't say it. "Instead of saying the n-word," she writes, "perhaps they should go learn about black culture and where the word came from." This is a strong line, in my opinion, and gives a great alternative to negative behavior. Chidinma also talks about how hurtful the word can be to black people because of what it means and how people need to become more aware of how their words can affect others, especially when these words have never negatively affected them. I agree with Chidinma, and support her completely.

    In her article, Chidinma states, "They [non-black people] see it as unfair that the n-word is thrown around in songs and books, but they can't say it." I can apply this to my life, because I have encountered many non-black people that say the n-word because they heard it in a song. They'll hear it in raps and think it sounds "cool," and repeat what they heard. I believe this is foolish, because a slur shouldn’t be said if you think it sounds cool, just as you shouldn’t smoke cigarettes because you believe it “looks cool.” Chidinma compares the N-word to "a mouth-watering chocolate cake right in front of you" that everyone but you can have. I find this a good comparison, as it shows the mindset behind people wrongfully using the n-word. However, it doesn't show the absurdity of believing you can say this word without consequence. Eating a slice of cake wouldn’t hurt somebody else, while a slur can. I will go ahead and assume that our parents have taught us common sense, and that as a child we will learn that we can't drive cars until we are of the legal age, and the same goes with alcohol. I believe that it should be common sense that the n-word shouldn't be said by non-black people because it is a slur originally meant to hurt black people. Chidinma Agbo connects her writing to her life, as well as the reader’s life. I can deduce that this is a strong piece of writing, and that Chidinma shares good opinions that can help better the world.