I Shouldn't Have to Write This | Teen Ink

I Shouldn't Have to Write This

November 17, 2016
By karinagurevich PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
karinagurevich PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
31 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Upon reading "I Shouldn't Have to Write This" by Justin S., I saw racism in a new light. The article is about how Justin shouldn't have to write about racism in the world, the news, and on the streets because it shouldn't exist in the first place. I wholeheartedly agree with everything said in this truly touching and magnificent piece.
     

I cannot begin to imagine the racism and terror he faces on a daily basis or any other black individual; but I can try. Justin writes, "I shouldn't have to worry about my friends who are minorities every time they leave their house. I shouldn't be afraid to leave mine." And that's right. He shouldn't have to worry about this but he does. And that's a huge problem. Even though I myself am not African American, I can definitely somehow connect to the racism these people are experiencing. I too live in New York, and the streets are harsh. Racist remarks are being spat out left and right from venomous tongues, with no regard to how sensitive and cruel these words truly are. There are so many malicious sayings that racism is an epidemic sweeping across New York, the United States, and the world.
    

Justin or any other black person shouldn't have to be petrified of police officers, going outside, and anything else just because they're black. What happened to the country that was founded on equal rights? What happened to the toleration the United States first had to offer? It pains be greatly every day to see these disgusting, harmful actions made towards African Americans; it pains me to listen to the racist who lives with me, spewing out cruel words while I try to tell him otherwise. The world is corrupted and it is truly terrifying that people are being discriminated against, even killed, because of the color of their skin. I am doing all that I can to try to stop even a small part of the racism that many play a role in everyday. Justin has inspired me with this magnificent work of art to try harder; try to do more. But of course, "I shouldn't have to write this."