The Widow | Teen Ink

The Widow

By leahclifford SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
leahclifford SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Although slightly grotesque, “The Widow,” a fiction piece by Liv Harris, was a story that enthralled me from start to finish. Liv introduces the widow as a mysterious old woman that has confined herself in her own house since her poor husband’s death. Because of this confinement, the people of the town she lives in are quite surprised to find the widow situated in a church on a “sleepy Sunday morning.” However, the reader is shocked when he or she soon discovers what’s really hiding behind the black, crepe veil she wears.

This story managed to shock me, interest me and make me squirm in the 5 minutes it took me to read it. Liv does an incredible job in describing the events happening, as well as keeping the reader engaged. She begins with beautifully describing the widow and her lifestyle, and concludes it with an unexpected twist that is sure to leave all readers with their mouth agape in surprise. The passage takes every person that reads it on an adventure from start to finish as we learn about the widow and who she really is. This piece is one sure to leave you mouth agape, rereading the end to make sure you read it correctly.

on Nov. 1 2017 at 11:36 am
Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

Thank you so much for the review of my story!!!