What is Feminism? | Teen Ink

What is Feminism?

October 12, 2016
By karinagurevich PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
karinagurevich PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
31 articles 0 photos 0 comments

  "No, I am not a crazy, man-hating lesbian. I just believe men and women should be treated as equals." While this line makes me chuckle a bit, it also makes me realize how misunderstood feminism is. "What is Feminism?" by Sophie Consorti, conveys just this, a smaller point, but also talks about why feminism is needed for women. As a young woman, I found myself relating to this article, nodding every once in a while and exclaiming "That's the thing!" to myself, while my cat watched me, obviously thinking I was delusional.

  Sophie brings up a plethora of amazing points, but the one that stood out the most for me was the discussion of how some men treat women. With the mentions of the names men called Sophie like "Sugar" or "Darling" while they called their male counterparts "Sir," I saw myself. Myself being called these names, or myself being catcalled on the street. I saw myself feeling uncomfortable in these situations or trying to come up with a reason of why I deserved it. But I didn't deserve it. No women deserves to be made tense because of this. And this is why I, we, need feminism.   

   We need feminism so women can be finally treated equally, and not seen as inferior to men. We need to be able to say we want to have a certain job without someone saying "You can't be that, you're a girl". We need to be able to not be terrified to walk down a street, fearing for our safety. And no, as Sophie says, feminists do not despise men or want mens' rights to be taken away and given to them. The point is, we women should've had these rights in the first place. We're all human. So why don't we have equal rights?

   Feminists fight for equality, something Sophie beautifully describes in her article.