Feedback on "How To Raise Your Parents" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "How To Raise Your Parents"

May 7, 2016
By Vwriter SILVER, New York, New York
Vwriter SILVER, New York, New York
8 articles 0 photos 1 comment

            Every teenager in existence has at some point disagreed with their parents. We complain that they don’t understand us, they’re not fair, etcetera, etcetera. “How To Raise Your Parents” by Grace Coberly is a humorous, well written piece that puts parents in a whole new perspective. According to Coberly, instead of becoming upset or annoyed by your parents, treat them “like you would treat your closest friends: with patience, sensitivity, and plenty of well- timed sarcasm.”  Throughout her article, the author discusses why parents act the way they act- for example, being controlling and strict are really just parents’ ways to “reassure themselves that your life with them is far from over.”
            In addition to giving readers advice on how to deal with the ‘tall children in suit jackets’ we call parents, Grace Coberly introduces a new idea on how to view them.  Most of the topics she brushes upon are very relatable, such as writing Santa letters and teaching Mom what a hashtag is, but they’re addressed in a whole new way that’s both funny and ingenious. Despite the obvious humor, this article made me realize that despite what may feel annoying or tiring at times to teenagers is just our parents doing what they think is best.  The author explains how to treat your parents in addition to providing an explanation for why they do what they do. Of course, if we actually thought parents are “nothing but children playing dress up” we’d get in loads of trouble, but it’s fun to pretend!