Infinite | Teen Ink

Infinite

By jevinaw GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
jevinaw GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

“Infinite” by Nicolas Hammer is a piece that really made me stop and think as I read it. The writing is quite unique as it describes infinity, not an easy topic to delve into. The memoir is a sweet one: Nicolas reminiscences of a past that resides in his eighth grade April recess.  On this eventful day outside, he’s with his friends when he notices a girl friend, Aurora, in a melancholic state. When discovering her having not the most fortunate day, Nicolas takes it upon himself to chivalrously cheer her up. In a short instant, he takes her hands whisks her away into an infinity. The fleeting moment was simply a boy taking the hands of a girl and spinning around together, but unexpectedly so, he created such a moment of that only circled around them in their glorious youth.

Now, I’ve read pieces before that described a single minute as ‘infinity’ (The Perks of Being a Wallflower, anyone?). But Nicolas not only described his April afternoon minute with Aurora as infinity, but also described the infinity itself. A line that really stood out to me was, “I mean infinite: a sense of being ripped from reality and lost in a world of a single moment. A moment that lives forever yet dies as quickly as it is experienced.” I was blown away by that perfect description, as it utterly pinpointed those almost unexplainable moments in life. So far in my lifetime, I have experienced infinity before and it’s just like he said. The world suddenly shifts into a different perspective and in the second, it seems like forever. Once the moment ends, it still manages to stays with you, even when the moment escapes your present grasp. For people like me who know where Nicolas is coming from, thank you for helping me to identify what exactly this infinity felt like. For people who haven’t felt it yet, it’s certainly something to look forward to.