Feedback on "Instructions for a Happy Day" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Instructions for a Happy Day"

March 2, 2016
By Colinr28 BRONZE, New York, New York
Colinr28 BRONZE, New York, New York
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I think everyone should follow Catherine Sleeman’s title “Instructions for a Happy Day” because it’s definitely something not everyone does. When I saw the title “Instructions for a Happy Day,” I almost thought that it would be a how-to. Clearly it was not, but rather a vividly descriptive piece on how to have the perfect day.
The “instructions” for a happy day were everything I don’t do- wake up early, look at the sky, and the list goes on and on. On the contrary, I find this unique and interesting because once in a while people definitely need a break. I also noticed how the author barely mentioned technology, except when she talks about doing something better that it. She also tells the reader what not to do, but phrases it in questions. For example, she states “And when did all our misery and ugly, tarnished corners start to seem appealing and worthy of display?” It shows what people do just for laughs yet they wonder why they’re unhappy.
Each paragraph also provides a small lesson that you can get out of it, whether it’s to make the most of your day or see the beauty in life. She tells us indirectly that the best day is one with limited technology use, and to maybe escape from that society, because when all you know is electronics, you don’t know anything else. These instructions were meaningful and realistic, if one was truly passionate about having a great day, and if almost made me want to wake up early tomorrow.