From Zero to Hero | Teen Ink

From Zero to Hero

March 2, 2016
By mllk17 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
mllk17 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In “From Zero to Hero”, Amia Fatale recounts her experience of not being able to satisfy society. When she was a freshman, she was criticized as being tiny and slightly underweight despite it being in her nature. So she had a growth spurt, gaining an extra inch and thirty pounds. She was called a “whale” and mocked by others. Her self-image was destroyed but still she tried to please her fellow students. She lost ten pounds but no one noticed. Amia really captures the struggles of being accepted by society.
I can relate to this experience. I’m always self-conscious of myself, wondering if I’m too heavy or if I chose to wear an ugly sweater. When I’m walking down the hallway of my school, I worry what others might think of me. Then I think why would I try so hard to please everyone else when I can’t please myself. Amia sums my thoughts up perfectly with “I realized then that no matter what I did, the people telling me these horrible things … would never tell me anything good.” Many other people out there can relate to these thoughts and Amia’s experience. No one’s perfect, and all it matters is that you’re happy and Amia portrays this theme well in her piece.