Feedback on "The Delights of Public Transportation" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "The Delights of Public Transportation"

March 2, 2016
By Bello123 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Bello123 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864


Smelly gym bags. Loud, annoying people talking on the phone. Intoxicated passengers. This is what Holly Stretton describes as public transportation. Although I have only been on a train or a bus about 10 times in my lifetime, I can only imagine the struggles of dealing with it all. This piece showed me the perils of public transportation and persuaded me to never ride it again. Even though I have no choice. 

Stretton has a very light tone that intrigues the reader from the beginning. She makes public transportation seem entertaining, saying that "bus journeys are always great for people-watching-guaranteed entertainment for the whole journey, because, for some reason, all of the craziest characters possible congregate in one place to compete in the ultimate contest: Who can annoy the passengers the most?" Holly continues on to make every annoying person you can encounter on the bus a hilarious entertainer, putting them in a "race." She makes the piece honest, without rambling and ranting. She makes it informative but seem fictional. I wish I could have the talent of Holly Stretton.