Feedback On "How Chinese Am I?" | Teen Ink

Feedback On "How Chinese Am I?"

By skyvex1 SILVER, New York City, New York
skyvex1 SILVER, New York City, New York

"There's always a price for what you want"- Steve Perry

"How Chinese Am I?" is a very well written article on a chinese boy who has trouble identifying himself with which culture he is. Since he was born in America and raised in an "americanized" environment, he wonders how connected he is to chinese culture. He talks just like any other american, using slang words like "yolo" and "swag", and lives daily life like anyone else. But when he sees a Chinese opera and turns to appreiate the art and beauty of the music and dancers, unlike his brothers who think it's weird, he feels a mutual connection to his blood born culture and feels that it's enough to call himself Chinese. I like the examples and the atmosphere you sucked the reader in with the description of the opera and how you were "americanized" in your early life gradually. 

I can understand why someone can have trouble identifying themselves with their blood-born culture or with the culture they were born and raised with, since they've adapted to whichever culture they grew up with. Anyone can be any culture they identify with, since just because you're blood shows what you are, doesn't mean you have to follow to which ethicity you're born with. Blood doesn't make who you are, you're personality makes who you are.