Kiss the Girl | Teen Ink

Kiss the Girl

February 3, 2016
By mllk17 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
mllk17 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Madeline”, author of “Kiss the Girl” recounts her story of her first kiss in an edge of the seat style. Like many other girls, she had always pictured her first kiss as a monumental moment, a memory that she would hold onto dearly. Her first kiss was stolen by a guy "Jimmy", out of desperation. For four months they have been in a “relationship” consisting of no dates, no romantic gestures, and no coupley actions. After a week of no surprises, Madeline decided to end their “relationship”. Things didn’t go the way she planned as Jimmy kissed her after she commented on how she had wanted him to take a chance and surprise her. It was nothing she had hoped for, no fireworks exploding, no doves flying, and certainly not the feeling “love”. It is the realistic and simplistic storytelling, yet interesting style that makes me applaud Madeline for her writing.
To me firsts are vital: first impressions, first days of school, first friend, etc. Not every one of the firsts can be what I expect since life works in its own way. Madeline writes “While I can never get that first kiss or those four months back, I can make sure the rest of my experiences with love are truly special.” To overcome the bad memories, we should move forward to make better ones. Life is not perfect. It has its ups and downs, the delights and hardships. In this advice, "Madeline” show us how we should focus on the future rather than lingering in the past.