Feedback on "What I Call Love" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "What I Call Love"

By sr00 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
sr00 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

When we were children, TV shows, movies, and books always taught us that love was the savior to all our problems. We grew up learning that love was beautiful, and that it would never hurt us. If we found true love, we would live "happily ever after". However, as Sarah Greenwood's "What I Call Love" dictates, that is most definitely not the case. Yes, love can be beautiful. It can be a savior, but that does not mean that all love is, is beauty. 

According to her poem, Sarah writes, "I've never had a favorite flaw. But now I do. It's you." In this quote, she explains simply that she knows (and understands) that loving him will hurt, but she is willing to anyway. I think that this poem presents a huge lesson on how love isn't happily ever after. It's being able to love, but at the same time, dealing with the hurt that comes with it. Most people--especially of a younger demographic, do not understand that being in love isn't fluffy and fun. Sarah's poem depicts this perfectly, able to present a beautiful moment of her relationship, when she truly understood what love is.