Feedback on "But...Bacon!" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "But...Bacon!"

By Bello123 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Bello123 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Bacon does not control life choices. There, I said it. Although, I would never be able to say it as clearly and passionately as Anne Mickey, author of "But...Bacon!" She began with a anecdote of her childhood and from there I was hooked. I am allergic to chicken and pork (the latter proves that I am a perfect Jewish girl), as well as all seafood. So, my only source of protein is turkey. Although Mickey and I do not have the same circumstances, she still had the courageous will power at nine to become a vegetarian. I tried to become a vegetarian at 11 years old, an I quit after a week. Beans and quinoa were not my thing. Anne showed me that I can become a vegetarian with enough strength and endurance as her. 
Everything about this piece was perfect. Not only was it entertaining, but it was informative, too. I love the format and the telling of Mickey's vegetarianism. She started with a memory, went into a detailed explanation of her reasoning, went back to an anecdote, flew into the future and then ended on a formal yet powerful note. The bullet point list of people's responses like "oh my god, I could NEVER do that! It seems so hard!" and Anne's replies like "I had the willpower at age nine. I f a nine-year-old can do it, you can too." This hit me hard. I could become a vegetarian. I just spoke out about the mistreatment of animals, and here I am stuffing the fluffy creatures in my face. That was when I decided to become a vegetarian. Even if it lasted two weeks, I would know that I had improved s since 11. 
Not only did this article give me hope for my vegetarian quest, it taught me something valuable. I have been living with two vegetarians all of my life and I never knew this. Mickey taught me that eating meat is equivalent to smoking. When I read this, I thought "whoa, this is crazy," but then I read on until the end. It makes sense. So, Anne Mickey, I would like to add you to the many Teen Ink writers that have changed my life for the better. Thank you.