Feedback on "Toxic Masculinity: Why Big Boys Don't Cry" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Toxic Masculinity: Why Big Boys Don't Cry"

By Nextmia GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Nextmia GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Before reading “Toxic Masculinity: Why Big Boys Don’t Cry” by Callie Zimmerman, differences in the way the two sexes displayed their emotions was never something that struck
me as an issue. The rule that was often conveyed to myself and my peers throughout childhood was fairly simple; women are more outward with their feelings. They tend to overreact, whereas men are generally apathetic, keeping emotions bottled up and hidden so as not to appear “weak”. According to the article, a scientific study done even shows that men feel the same range of emotions as women (in some cases even more) but are conditioned to say they don’t. The more I began to wrap my mind around this concept, the more apparent it became that these stereotypes are often implemented from an early age.
              From when Tommy was told not to cry when he cut his finger and little Susie being consoled excessively after she spilled her juice, traditional gender norms are absolutely everywhere. This article has really opened up my eyes to the way society has set up men and women that is actually harmful, as it can teach men to repress their emotions, leading to higher rates of suicide, substance abuse and unhealthy behaviors than women. Today’s idealistic standards of a completely stoic and macho man are barriers to a world of understanding. Perhaps it’s time to start listening to Tommy talk about how much his finger hurts instead of shaming him for it.