Review on Five Ways to Look at Food | Teen Ink

Review on Five Ways to Look at Food

By VanessaLi GOLD, New York City, New York
VanessaLi GOLD, New York City, New York

People often take food for granted. They think that it is always there for them when they are hungry but for some people, food is the enemy. Natalie Peng addresses the growing issue of people with eating disorders in "Five Ways to Look at Food."

"Sugary apple pie/slices of roasted turkey/light, buttery mashed potatoes...the beautiful masterpiece of a meal/but it suddenly doesn't look any better than/the last meal I didn't eat," Natalie writes. She explains that her even though there is a meal fit for "a normal everyday person who weighs 106 pounds," she refuses to eat. This is meaningful to teenagers today because there are many teenagers who are concerned about their weight and their appearances. The end of this poem says: "...but for it to be the last few steps to leaving/the place where I couln't wear/ different outfits/but the same gown every day/anormal meal/for someone who weighs a proud 110." This gives the reader a sense of hope which also tells them to be proud of who they are.