Feedback on "Human Peacocks on a Rainy Day" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Human Peacocks on a Rainy Day"

By julia552 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
julia552 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

“Human Peacocks on a Rainy Day” was a fast-paced, exciting account of an adventure three boys take in attempts to find the “American Dream” that was not only enjoyable to read but also made me question things in my life. Chris Rosica writes about this journey with two of his friends in their “flamboyant Hawaiian shirts that were $10 at a thrift shop” and defiant, teenage nature. By the end of their trip, the energy that had fueled the trip was gone as they found themselves in traffic. The conclusion of this adventure led Chris to find a meaning in their seemingly pointless journey.

The colorful language Chris uses brings the story to life and let me experience it. One description that really characterized the trip was, “Two hours deep into a gritty expedition for the American Dream and we were stuck stagnant in a sea of metal." The casual writing style made aspects of the story feel relatable even if you hadn’t been in their exact situation. This made the tension, like when they get stuck in the storm, even more exaggerated and realistic.

Most of all, this piece made me reflect on my own experiences. Chris concludes at the end of their excursion that, “the American Dream is stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic.” His outlook, the idea that even an anticipated experience that doesn’t live up to your expectations can still have purpose, was something I admire. Chris’ culminating thoughts make him realize that the trip had taught him that the big American Dream he had sought after could have just been their own experiences. This led me to look back on events in my own life that were disappointing or anticlimactic may have had a different message— not the obvious goal.

Chris, thank you for sharing this story— not only is the descriptive adventure exciting, there is a lot to learn from it.