Feedback on A Painful Lesson | Teen Ink

Feedback on A Painful Lesson

By Zehra13 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Zehra13 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

The health piece, “A Painful Lesson” by Anna Kretzer can sadly be related because all of us as youths always rebel against our guardian’s wishes. Why do we do that? Maybe we feel the need to be independent  and make our own choices. Or just for spite and fun. It may seem a daring thing to disregard those rules, but one step wrong, or a hint of disobedience from the beginning, or the thought of going against those commands, already shows that one is paying the price. Anna goes through her empathetic story that voices her mistake as she learns a vividly arduous lesson. She deliberately stands with her back turned to the ocean although her parents said otherwise. Anna soon realizes that this stance may change her life. She is swept in a heart-hammering, icy wave that tossed Anna around then spits her back out. She seems fine but that is the problem. She had suffered a permanent injury without knowing. It comes back at the hospital as a harsh bite-back consequence. That pain will haunt her for the rest of her life as she learns to adapt to it. Anna has taught a lesson to all of us. One that is redundant but important: Always listen to your parents. This story is one that can be sympathized and awarded. It was written with such great meaning and passion we are taken along in the rolling waves of words. Anna was amazingly lucid  at describing the transition in her life and I felt like I understood her. After all her story has a universal theme that affects the younger generation of society.

When they say that our parents only mean the best of us through these strict orders, children and teens will instantly disagree, complaining in extent of all the work and decrees they are given.They want freedom and a flavorful taste of a life free from rules and punishments. It is a far-fetched utopia that one can easily fall for. In the article, Anna told us, “It's likely that you still disregard those warnings. Well, let me tell you, all those parents out there, they were right. I learned that the hard way.” Ever heard the quote, “Better safe than sorry?” It rings true to its words. Maybe if we take a chance to listen, our life can probably turn out the way we want it. That all depends on you and the chances of rules.