Feedback to "Breaking the Binary" | Teen Ink

Feedback to "Breaking the Binary"

January 6, 2016
By imahurricane SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
imahurricane SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 1 comment

     “Breaking the Binary,” written anonymously, is a fantastic piece about the struggles of being genderqueer. It touches on bullying, acceptance, societal struggles, and other issues that are present in today’s puzzle of a society.  The author first talks about how she had always been disgusted with her body. She always attempted to cover up and dress as a boy. People at school bullied her, and made it hard for her to accept herself as a person. This shows the utter cruelty of the world today, and how “acceptance” might as well be a bitter pill that people everywhere have trouble swallowing.
     Although I cannot relate to the author on a personal level, I find it amazingly courageous that they decided to publish such a raw and heartfelt piece. Yes, it was written anonymously, but taking the time to pour your emotions onto a page is pure bravery in itself, as your own feelings may be hard to face at times. The piece definitely opened my eyes to the struggles people face about their sexuality, among other related issues. I hope the author can one day have their right to self-expression.