Feedback on "Aww Nuts" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Aww Nuts"

January 6, 2016
By Bello123 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Bello123 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864


Sneezing. Itching. Swelling. Anaphylactic shock. Allergies can escalate that quickly. People who have serious allergies, like "Karen," the author of "Aww Nuts," can suffer major consequences. "Karen" found out about her allergy at a friend's birthday party, and has stayed away from nuts ever since. I have experienced what she has experienced. She has gone through a terrifying allergic reaction, and I remember when I had one too. This piece hit me right in the heart. It was nice to know that someone has a serious allergy to something broad like nuts.
I remember when I was four years old and I was eating dinner with my family. I was calmly chewing a tuna burger when I got a cottony feeling in my moth. My throat was closing up and I couldn't breathe. The fact that I had asthma wasn't helping. Anyway, I started to heave and itch everywhere. I was slowly turning red, then purple, and my lips and fingers were blue. I stopped breathing. My parents immediately took me to the hospital and I got injected with an EpiPen. I was told to carry one around for the rest of my life, as well as my inhaler. I has a serious seafood allergy. No sushi. No Chinese takeout. Nothing. I was disappointed because I couldn't believe that I was allergic to my favorite food. "Karen" has gone through the same thing. Her piece states, "Eventually I learned how to deal with my nut allergy. I learned to read ingredients." "Karen" understands how difficult it is to deal with allergies, but it is manageable. I feel proud knowing that I'm not the only one with food restrictions. This piece created a window of understanding for me.