Feedback on "How to be the Oldest" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "How to be the Oldest"

By Nextmia GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Nextmia GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

In the December issue of Teen Ink, an ode was published. “How to be the Oldest” by Brevann Nun is almost a guidebook for all the eldest siblings in the world, not to mention incredibly relatable! This piece was an essay on the ups and downs of living with a brother or sister. From the absolute beginning (first meeting the little creatures and discovering a new addition to the family is not all it’s cracked up to be) to the bittersweet moments (childish conflicts that develop grudges which are forgotten entirely the next day) and finally, the unconditional love.
               Lines such as “Somehow, after all the anger, arguing, crying, and bitterness, we still care about those little irritations we call siblings. Of course, they don’t need to know that” made me laugh out loud. Showing my brother this article evoked many fond memories in the two of us. From arguing over the television remote, disagreeing about whose turn it was to take out the trash, to getting into physical fights and immediately regretting it, these are things all siblings can relate too!