Feedback on Magnificent Yellow | Teen Ink

Feedback on Magnificent Yellow

By imahurricane SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
imahurricane SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"Magnificent Yellow” by Melinda Liu is a beautiful piece about the love and loss of a sibling. From the sounds of things, it's obvious that the author isn't unfamiliar with hearing about cancer related issues. Still, though, it doesn't change the raw pain one feels when a near and dear family member is soon to die because of it. Melinda’s broken heart proves there aren't enough pillows in the world to help cushion the blow that bad news comes with.
     Although I'm an only child, and can't completely relate to this piece, Melinda’s writing is full of bittersweet nostalgia. Her tone could easily draw empathy from most readers- I know it did for me. In the piece, Melinda talks about blaming herself for not dropping extra curricular activities to spend time with her brother. However, she realizes blame only wastes everyone’s time, and really begins to cherish the last moments with her dying brother, Tony. Surprisingly, the end of “Magnificent Yellow” isn’t bitter or angry. Instead, it talks about the never ending nature of sibling love, as well as hope for the future. Melinda is such a brave person to have shared her hauntingly beautiful story with us, and I have the greatest respect in the world for her.