Feedback on "How to be the Oldest" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "How to be the Oldest"

By Vwriter SILVER, New York, New York
Vwriter SILVER, New York, New York

“How to be the Oldest” by Brevann Nun is one of the best pieces of writing involving siblings I have ever read. First of all, I can relate to the article because I, myself, am an ‘eldest sibling’, and Brevann managed to describe my exact thoughts on having a little sibling. Brevann describes how it feels to be the older sister/brother from the time their younger sibling was born to when they grow up. The article explains the joy that comes with the knowledge of knowing a smaller version of you exists, and then the realization later on that it isn’t all fun and games. “Here’s the real kicker. Once upon a time, you had everything in the world a kid could want- and now you have, at best, half.” This is definitely in agreement with the viewpoints of many ‘oldest children’ (including myself).
            This article made me realize how great it was to be the center of attention, up until I was seven and I didn’t realize I would miss it when I wasn’t anymore. Brevann humorously explains how the tiny human intended to do your bidding instead gnaws on your favorite toy, and instead of rightfully worshipping you they are under the mistaken impression your belongings are theirs as well. “Suddenly, you’re protecting your toys from the creature you had planned to enjoy them with.” At the end, however, the article mentions that despite how annoying little siblings can be, we still care about them- which is one of the most important things of all.