Feedback on "You'll Thank Me Later" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "You'll Thank Me Later"

By julia552 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
julia552 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

In “You’ll Thank Me Later,” Katherine Pazushko reflects on being a sibling and how she came to love the new addition to her family. She is disappointed when she finds out she will no longer be an only child and feels that her, “summer was ruined, my life destroyed.” I could relate to this because as an older sister, I felt just as crestfallen when I heard the news about my brother.     However, as she gets to name and get to know her little sister, Katherine realizes how meaningful their relationship is.
      When I first read this piece, I saw it as just a memoir, but rereading made me see that Katherine was describing a universal experience. Her journey with her sister was very relatable, as I felt the same thing when introduced to my brother. As time progressed, I have realized how valuable he is to me. “You’ll Thank Me Later” ends with her mother telling her how, “it’s later” and Katherine’s sister had been a good thing after all. Similarly, I was able to compare the positive impact my brother has had to Katherine’s story.
    Thank you, Katherine, for sharing this relatable piece.