You'll Thank Me Later | Teen Ink

You'll Thank Me Later

By jevinaw GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
jevinaw GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

“You’ll Thank Me Later” by Katherine Pazushko is an endearing and beautiful piece that captures the quintessential meaning of having a sibling of any kind. The memoir is about what it’s like to be an older sibling whose world is threatened by an incoming menace- a younger sibling. Katherine gives readers insight to her exact reaction to the news, as well as a detailed description to the scene of the hospital room. Not to mention, the way she tied her conclusion to the title is genuine and satisfying.

I can relate to this memoir in so many ways. Although I do have an older sibling, I experienced her story very similarly with my baby cousin. For years, my brother and I were my grandparents’ main focus. They always took care of us, spoiling and loving us in all ways possible. When the news of a baby cousin came about, I was afraid that my dear grandparents, especially my grandma, would divide their attention in this fetus’s favor. But after nine months, on the happy day of my cousin’s birth, I was overjoyed to meet her. In her piece, Katherine writes, “The creature opened its eyes, taking in my face for the first time.” My encounter was quite alike, as there was a connection from the start.

Nowadays, my toddler cousin does have an abundance of fits, but this memoir reminded me of exactly why I love her so much. As Katherine’s mother called it from the start, siblings are something you will learn to appreciate eventually.