Feedback on "pre-breakfast dialogue" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "pre-breakfast dialogue"

By sr00 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
sr00 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Although short, “pre-breakfast dialogue” by John Michael Londres displayed a significant amount of symbolism. In the first stanza, he personifies the egg’s point of view when the shell is cracked. In the second stanza, he shows what the person thought of when he cracked the egg. Although at first, it seemed just like a regular personification of an egg, but as you read on, you realize that it is actually representing a couple in a relationship; the egg as the girl.
     In the poem, Londres writes, “i/ saw/ the light/ when you cracked me.” This would represent the time after a couple is broken up, and the girl had recognized something about herself that she would never have noticed if not for the breakup. In the second stanza, he writes “i/ saw/ the sun/ in a broken cloud.” This showed the other side of the relationship, that the guy wasn’t quite over the girl. I felt that this could really relate to today’s society, as some relationships have these two type of people; one who’s glad the relationship is over, and the other devastated that he/she lost someone so important to him/her.