Feedback on "How to Be the Oldest" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "How to Be the Oldest"

December 9, 2015
By Bello123 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Bello123 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864


I grew up with three older siblings. It was tough. It still is. Although, after reading "How to Be the Oldest," by Brevann Nun, I realized that I had it easy compared to my eldest sister, Ella. She was the only child for one year and three months before my brother was born. This piece is mostly about the life of an older sibling, from the very beginning to the very end. It talks about the hardships of life and how attention gets stolen away from you when you think that everything will be fine. This article taught me to treat my older sister better. 

This piece changed my perspective of life with siblings. I thought that I had it tough, being in the shadow of three people that always did better than me. I felt as if I could never be my own person. So, I worked hard, pushed my way to the top, and here I am. I never thought this would hurt anyone. After reading this, it turns out that my siblings are the ones that had it tough. They had to be the role models. The dust in the shadow of my success. My parents were so proud of me, of my achievements, that they forgot about their other amazing children. I was too famished with all of my attention that I didn't realize what was happening. I now know that my sister was always there for me, pushing me one step forward. Taking down the entire wall when I couldn't get through a door. She did everything for me, when no one payed attention to her. The article states "you start feeling protective of it. You get a bit angry when people insult your little abomination." My sister didn't have time to warm up to us. She was born, learned to walk, and BOOM! A brother. She didn't have a real childhood, a one with undivided attention from her parents. This article made me respect my sister 10 times more. I needed this. I am 13 years old and my sister is turning 28 very soon. Even though she is getting older, she will always be there, and I love her for that.