Feedback on Black Sheep | Teen Ink

Feedback on Black Sheep

December 9, 2015
By lmookai SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
lmookai SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

     "Black Sheep" by Amelia Duke is a meaningful piece of how she dealt with homosexual stereotypes. Amelia was often accused of being lesbian due to her short hair, but she doesn't defend herself, knowing "gay" shouldn't be an offensive term. However, there are those against LGBTQ+, because their religious beliefs are challenged. Others don't understand and just follow the hate because they would think it's cool. As Amelia wrote, "Hate is toxic, and like a disease, it spreads fast, and the results can be deadly."

     I remember back when "gay" was often used as an insult and it wasn't a big deal. But now with a lot of support for those LGBT+, society is moving on. Of course, there is still hate, but people are learning to accept each other's sexualities. There were and are many protests against LGBT+ groups, and young individuals struggle daily to come out, believing they will be cast aside as outsiders. There are still problems like racism, and there will be struggles, but coming together with LGBT+ rights, the world can be closer.