Feedback on "The Flaw in My Facebook" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "The Flaw in My Facebook"

November 8, 2015
By mllk17 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
mllk17 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

   Social media has taken over the world, our lives. "The Flaw in My Facebook" by Kiara Huemer demonstrates this. Out of boredom from her homework, she decides to relax from it. Her conscience tells her that she deserves this break. Convinced, she figures that a few minutes won't hurt. Eventually, one post on Facebook leads to another and another until hours have passed, she's still on her page. No homework has been accomplished during this length of time. The next morning, she is weary from staying up late "finishing her homework", she lies to her mom. The guilt eats her up. Many teens can relate to getting distracted by social media.

   Kiara writes in her memoir, "My hyperactive brain relaxes in this imaginary world, where there are no worries, no deadlines, no expectations; just a lot of cat videos." Social media or the Internet is where one can truly let loose. People don't like pressure, the pressure of accomplishing great deeds in the future, homework, and anything that doesn't come willingly. So, we pass time with social media, or in this specific case, Facebook. The burden and weight is lifted from one's shoulders, and we feel free. But it ruins our life as we are not able to get work done. Writing from personal experience, Kiara's memoir shows how her life is affected from the Internet.