Feedback on Ending 10 Years of Silence. | Teen Ink

Feedback on Ending 10 Years of Silence.

By VanessaLi GOLD, New York City, New York
VanessaLi GOLD, New York City, New York

Society has taught us to stay quiet about the problems that we have. Alexandra's memoir shows this fact by her staying silent of her molestion at the age of four. She has kept it a secret from her family for ten years and by listening to Jeremy Camp's song, she finally gathers the courage to tell her mother that her babysitter's daughter molested her. She writes that by spilling her secret, she feels lighter and more at ease. She goes on to say that if by chnce she meets her abuser, she would forgive her. Although she writes that she still has her down days and her terrible moments, she doesn't regret telling her mother that she was molested. This shows her bravery about the situation.

In the third paragraph of "Ending 10 Years of Silence", she says, "My mother has always been extremely protective of my sister and me. How could I look her in the eyes and tell her that one of the only people she trusted us with had done such a horrific thing to her youngest daughter. I couldn't." We have to learn a thing or two about abuse. We cannot keep quiet about it just to spare someone's well-being. Alexandra did not tell her family because she was worried that her mother would break. One of the people that she trusted with her and her sister had abused Alexandra. She couldn't just say that. However, we as a society should encourage people who were abused to come out and say it. Because like Alexandra, people feel stronger because of it.