Feedback on "Return To Sender" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Return To Sender"

November 5, 2015
By Nextmia GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Nextmia GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The article “Return To Sender” by Memphis Belle is a fictional narrative that focuses on a one-sided relationship in which trust was badly misplaced. A devoted girlfriend is cheated  on by her boyfriend. The narrator – seemingly the middleman in this situation- finds a mix tape filled with songs brimming with passion and an undying love that the girlfriend had gifted her boyfriend, the narrator takes it upon themselves to give her back the mixtape. This piece flows smoothly, including outstanding vocabulary and an incredible realism that made me feel real pain for the characters.
One line that is especially good was when the author states “She picked songs like stars out of the sky and painted a picture of her naked heart that of all people, she chose to hand to you”. The passage made me feel as if everything is more than meets the eye, that something as simple as a mixtape can mean so much more than just a collection of mushy, lovey-dovey songs listed in a random order. This passage left me with a feeling of content and wondering if I had missed any disregarded “mixtapes” that somebody gave to me.