Feedback on "Robotic" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Robotic"

By Nextmia GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Nextmia GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

In my life, I have been lucky enough to never experience a divorce in my family, but after reading “Robotic” by Tara Holz I almost felt as if I were the one currently suffering the aftermath of my parents living in different households.This article was most certainly not merely as bad as any emotional turmoil I have ever went through, and so the author of this did a spectacular job portraying clearly the kind of gut-wrenching guilt and sadness they endured for months upon months. The comparisons and crystal clear recounts  reached out of the page and encompassed me in the kind of feeling only somebody going through the same experience could have really understood.
                Thanks to this article, I have a greater respect for children of divorced parents. The victims are usually regarded as the people being separated. While this is of course true, children of these people are sometimes thrown into an uncomfortable situation of being the meek middleman, with no real input but support for their parents. This role reversal is usually to much for such a young person to bear and psychologically challenging as they are no longer reliant on their parents but the opposite. Although I have had many friends with divorced parents, I have always felt like I was on the outside looking in. “Robotic” really opened my eyes as to the conflicts divorce introduces that are below the surface, and how to better help people deal with them.