Feedback on ?"dad, do you know I'm here?" | Teen Ink

Feedback on ?"dad, do you know I'm here?"

October 7, 2015
By imahurricane SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
imahurricane SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 1 comment

     Within eleven short lines, Emily Xu was able to write a fantastic poem filled with emotion and thought. The piece, titled dad, do you know I’m here? is narrated by a reserved, helpless girl who  tells about her father and his smoking addiction. Emily is exposed to secondhand smoke within her own house. Soon enough, she begins to wonder if she is invisible to her father, who completely disregards the fact that the secondhand smoke may be harmful to others in anyway.
     Although I can’t sympathize with the narrator, the emotion Emily expresses through just eleven lines of poetry almost puts me right into the narrator’s shoes. By not standing up to her father, she suffers the consequences of inhaling “Clouds of black smoke” in her own house. I believe that it must be difficult for Emily to be in a position where if she tries to stand up for herself, she risks compromising her relationship with her father. Instead, she sits down to write a captivatingly emotional poem about disregard and utter helplessness.