When Dad Goes to Prison | Teen Ink

When Dad Goes to Prison

By mllk17 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
mllk17 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"When Dad Goes to Prison" by "Alicia" opened my eyes to a new side of those who enter prison. The father of the story was sentenced to prison for selling drugs. Immediately, one might assume that he deserved it. But does he? There's a reason behind everyone's motives. For the father in the story, it's a matter of supporting his family. One might counterattack that he should just get another job. It's not that simple. Prices of essential needs are increasing but the minimum wage has not. Selling drugs profits in more money than the minimum wage of $7.25, which just doesn't exceed that amount. As her father said, "...it's hard to learn how to be a man."   

Not everyone who is sentenced to prison is to be classified as a "bad guy". Did he deserve it? It is not in my place or position to say. What I can say is that you have surely made me rethink the character of stereotypical "bad" prisoners. Your father should also take his own advice of not listening to all the negative things that people say.