Feedback on Escape from a Dreamy Haze | Teen Ink

Feedback on Escape from a Dreamy Haze

September 24, 2015
By lmookai SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
lmookai SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Escape from a Dreamy Haze by "Katie" was a depressing yet hopeful story about a teenage girl who faced a difficult chapter of her life. She gives detail about how she copes with her mother being diagnosed with cancer, her father drinking to dull the grief, and trying to be the role model for her two younger sisters. After enduring many hardships, Katie and her family go through this rough journey together. This inspiring memoir was a realistic portrayal of how a teenager almost succumbed to despair. However, in the end she overcomes her fears and weaknesses, ultimately maturing and giving the reader a wonderful message of the strength behind the bonds of a family.

When I read this piece, I was captivated by the words of the author and brought into the reality of how depression and taking drugs was like. At the end, when Katie states, “My coping method was once drugs, but now it’s my family,” she brings hope to the bleak and gloomy story. The mix of formality and familiarity, and how she conveyed an important theme about family from her personal experiences leaves a positive and inspirational note to the reader.