Feedback on "A Private Darkness" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "A Private Darkness"

By Nextmia GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Nextmia GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

The recently published article "A Private Darkness" by Violet Fearon really rung a bell as to the recent anxieties and thoughts that have been coursing through my head. The piece was about a child whose grandfather passed away after being sick for years. While this didn't seem to come as a shock to anybody, made the character begin to think about the true brevity of life and how unavoidable death is. The author manages to encompass the many typical frustrations of being a teenager at such a vulnerable stage in life, as well as a sort of profound outlook on the world that each individual eventually develops.

A couple lines that I found especially thought provoking were: "In a few decades, you're going to be a skeleton. Every second, every passing second is gone." After feeling for a while that I was the only person that suffers these concerns, this article was really something I could relate to. Perhaps the inevitability of death haunts us all; no matter who you are, where you are, or what you do. But what "A Private Darkness" has taught me is that what does really take a toll on your life presently is not death, but the fear of it. We either live our lives to the fullest, or spend every seond regretting we didn't.