Feedback on "What Confidence Looks Like" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "What Confidence Looks Like"

By sr00 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
sr00 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

There’s nothing quite as amazing as seeing someone brush off a bully’s denouncing statements of them. “What Confidence Looks Like” by Shelby Willis shows exactly that. Her poem describes how no one can make her feel less than what she is, even if someone repeatedly attempts to convince her that she will never be one with the stars. Instead of caving in, Willis retorts with confidence, which, in turn, perfectly portrays a stance of fearlessness and determination.
     As a student in middle school, I have seen some of my friends beat themselves up because they believe that they will never good enough for what they want to do. Because someone pounded that lie deep into their minds. Or because they simply convinced themselves of that. Sometimes, all they need is a little push, to realize that they aren’t what they believe themselves to be, and that they can be more. Reading an astounding poem like this could be that little push for someone, if not everyone. It almost felt as if Willis was directly speaking to me, telling me that I can be confident as well. When I read, “So don’t you dare tell me I will never be among the stars, because I am the brightest one in the heavens.” I felt as if her confidence was being passed over to me, and quite frankly, I think that’s something all of us need.

ShelbyGrey PLATINUM, Ashland, Kentucky

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.

Thank you.