Feedback on "The Coffee Shop" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "The Coffee Shop"

By LuluHRH GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
LuluHRH GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff." --The 10th Doctor (David Tennant), Doctor Who

“The Coffee Shop” by Lilian Wang is an slightly funny, slightly sad, and extremely sweet story about two people who are intrigued by one another, but have never spoken or even truly made eye contact. They see one another at a coffee shop every day, but they never interact. Finally, a barista grows tired of watching them watch each other without noticing the other watching them (if that makes any sense) and purposely gives them the coffee belonging to the other.
This story is a beautiful example of, not love at first sight, or even like at first sight, but interest built over many sightings, day after day after day. It’s not a simple bam! and they like each other. It’s evident that this attraction has crept up on the both of them. They know each others quirks through weeks, perhaps months of glances, and each quirk draws them closer. They are attracted to each other. It is not love, that much is obvious. How can it be love if they’ve never spoken? Without speaking, there cannot be like, and without like, there is no love. However, this pair has potential. The barista sees that and makes a “mistake” with their orders that will change both of their lives. Even if we don’t know what happens, we do know that this couple may have a chance.