Feedback on "Life Is Not a Movie" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Life Is Not a Movie"

By laughingcookie SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
laughingcookie SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"Life Is Not a Movie" by William Burk, is a completely relatable and well-written article. It persuades people to love life the way they want to, and not the way society or movies, which are creations of society, conform people to. This inspiring piece describes how all the people watching and knowing about the cliché movies expect it to happen to reality. However, as Burk writes, "Movies are brief sessions of fiction created to help us escape from reality." Men expect everyone to be as perfect as the women in the movies are. And it's true that people forget that these women have flaws too outside of the acting.  We should appreciate our own imperfections, because that's what makes us different from others out there. Movies actually aren't true, no matter how much we want them to be.
I experienced my own share of these moments. Many people I know are too shy to speak to the person he or she likes. Girls expect the guy to ask them to the dance. The other way around is just plain weird and embarrassing. The guy is supposed to save the girl from any dangers there are out in the world. This beautiful essay has convinced me to go past all these beliefs and just be myself and do what I want to do. It doesn't matter that my story is different from all the movies out there. As so many people said before, "Normal is boring."