Feedback on "Bubbles" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Bubbles"

By bluebelugawhale GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
bluebelugawhale GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"april's day transcends november's year" ee cummings

The poignant haiku "Bubbles" by Tara Troiano beautifully and simply describes the pain of growing up, without being overdone and filled with angst. She writes, "I used to live in/a bubble, unaware yet/blissful. Now I've popped." It is this simple metaphor, comparing being in a bubble to being innocent, that truly spoke to me.

I was deeply affected by this poem. Other poets tend to rely on extravagant phrasing and long words to get across a point. While that can be beautiful in its own right, it takes skill to condense such a complex idea as coming of age into 17 syllables. Ms. Troiano does that masterfully. Not only do I appreciate the author's skill, though, but her idea is one that I can relate to on a personal level. I, too, have longed to be an innocent child, free of knowledge and responsibility. The author captures the idea of blissful ignorance in a powerful way. The imagery allowed me to vividly picture a serenely floating bubble, which I believe perfectly illustrated innocence. "Bubbles" artfully handled complex feelings and ideas without being overdone, and that was what made it so beautiful.