Feedback - | Teen Ink

Feedback - MAG

By matthew.fine8 GOLD, Staten Island, New York
matthew.fine8 GOLD, Staten Island, New York

In his poem “Where Do Babies Come From?” Thomas E. describes various myths in the first 26 lines of this simple, lyrical piece of writing with rhyme and near-perfect flow. The poem has rhyming couplets, with each line describing a made-up story of the origin of babies. For instance, “Magic genie to grant your wish; Nine-month oven-baked baby dish.” I truly enjoyed reading this poem and thought it was very well written.

The 26th line says, “Zero true from A to Z?” Reading this, I thought for a moment, then looked back and realized that each line started with a different letter from A to Z, with the 26th line being Z. This clever format just adds to the amount of thought Thomas put into writing this wonderful poem.

After that line, a second ­stanza starts that is made up of just one line: “I think my parents lied to me.” I actually laughed out loud when I read it. It reflects back on the rest of the poem, all clearly lies that Thomas's parents told him in response to “Where do babies come from?”

This poem was a humorous, relatable take on the answers to a difficult question, with ingenious rhyme and format.