Feedback - | Teen Ink

Feedback - MAG

March 16, 2014
By matthew.fine8 GOLD, Staten Island, New York
matthew.fine8 GOLD, Staten Island, New York
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In his poem “Where Do Babies Come From?” Thomas E. describes various myths in the first 26 lines of this simple, lyrical piece of writing with rhyme and near-perfect flow. The poem has rhyming couplets, with each line describing a made-up story of the origin of babies. For instance, “Magic genie to grant your wish; Nine-month oven-baked baby dish.” I truly enjoyed reading this poem and thought it was very well written.

The 26th line says, “Zero true from A to Z?” Reading this, I thought for a moment, then looked back and realized that each line started with a different letter from A to Z, with the 26th line being Z. This clever format just adds to the amount of thought Thomas put into writing this wonderful poem.

After that line, a second ­stanza starts that is made up of just one line: “I think my parents lied to me.” I actually laughed out loud when I read it. It reflects back on the rest of the poem, all clearly lies that Thomas's parents told him in response to “Where do babies come from?”

This poem was a humorous, relatable take on the answers to a difficult question, with ingenious rhyme and format.