The Power of No | Teen Ink

The Power of No

By MonicaJanvier PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
MonicaJanvier PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

"I was raped." The three words that captured my attention. After reading these words of a nonfiction piece, "The Power of No," by "Ruth," I was intrigued to learn more. "The Power of No," is about how "Ruth" was raped by a guy that she was dating. After this occurred, she finally managed to break up with him two weeks later. "I still blamed myself," she wrote. She thought that maybe it wasn't considered rape since she didn't fight back, even though she told him that she didn't want to have sex because she wasn't ready. After keeping all these feelings bundled up, she released it to her new boyfriend who helped her through this tough experience.

After reading this piece, I was left with mixed feelings. As a proud "Law & Order: SVU" fan, I completely agreed with "Ruth." In this show, the stereotypical rape scene is frightening, and includes an unexpected and violent predator. But "Ruth" was raped by someone who she knew and she used to love.

I began to get angry because I realized that what "Ruth" was saying was true. The reason that she began to blame herself was because "we teach girls how not to get raped instead of teaching boys not to rape." The pressure is being put on the victim. This issue should be brought to others attention.

I'm thankful for this beautiful article that "Ruth" wrote. She brought across a major issue that has not been brought to people's attention.