India's Battle of the Sexes | Teen Ink

India's Battle of the Sexes MAG

October 16, 2013
By clownfish BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
clownfish BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments

“India's Battle of the Sexes” by Shagun Taparia struck me deeply. It opened my eyes to the struggle of girls on the other side of the world. I was disgusted by the true story of the young woman who was gang raped and left to die. The way this event was described in the article made me feel a personal connection to the tragedy. It is very disturbing to me that in 2013 women need to be fearful every time they leave the house alone in India.

Many of my male peers have claimed that sexism no longer exists. This article is a reminder of why feminism is still necessary.

Living in a large city, I can relate to ­Shagun's feelings that she is not always safe walking alone. In my opinion, no woman anywhere in the world should ever be afraid of men. We should have as much right to make it home safely as men do. It is a harsh reality that girls and women cannot always wear what they want for fear that they will attract attention and consequently danger.

This article touched my heart and left me with lingering feelings of sadness and anger, as well as optimism. Thank you, ­Shagun, for educating me about this young woman's tragedy, and your situation as a young woman in India.