Humor Section | Teen Ink

Humor Section MAG

March 16, 2013
By thankyoumrsloopner GOLD, Gastonia, North Carolina
thankyoumrsloopner GOLD, Gastonia, North Carolina
16 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Going into middle or high school, you will be funny or you will be sexual." ~Tina Fey


I would like to start out by saying that I love Teen Ink. I think it is a wonderful way for teens to share their writing. It takes guts to submit work, and I thank the creators, the writers and the editors alike for making this possible.

This being said, I have an idea. I think the website is missing something. Most of the stories I've read are depressing or romantic, and there's nothing wrong with that. I know teenagers have a lot of feelings that they get out by writing. But I'm not a write-about-my-feelings sort of person. I write things that are funny (at least funny to me).

You see, my life's goal is to be a writer and performer on “Saturday Night Live.” In the meantime, I write funny(ish) short stories (and occasionally poems) that I post on Teen Ink. The problem is, I never know where to put them. I've submitted a few ­under “Realistic Fiction,” but that doesn't seem to fit. I've submitted one or two under “Romance,” but that doesn't work because they aren't really romantic pieces, just ­humorous stories that have couples in them.

I know I'm not the only one with this problem. I've read a few stories on this website that are incredibly funny. The problem is finding them, because they're mixed in with the normal sob stories.

So why don't you add a “Humor” section where all of the budding comedians or satirists can post their pieces. If you don't want to add a whole new section, you could add “Humor” as a subcategory to the fiction, nonfiction, and opinion sections. That way, those who feel like laughing could look there, and all us future Woody Allens could feel more at home.

Editor's Note: We'll get working on it!


The author's comments:
This is a story, and also my advice to Teen Ink. Thank you for your time. I do have a few stories that wouldn't fit into a humor section, but I (and possibly others) have a few that would feel more at home there.