Feedback for "Cosine" from the October issue | Teen Ink

Feedback for "Cosine" from the October issue

By ChobaniLuvinPenguin PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
ChobaniLuvinPenguin PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well."
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

"Cosine" by Nicki N from the October issue stands out as an article that speaks to me. In a seemingly calm and collected voice, Nicki beautifully and honestly depicts her views on trigonometry- pure, unadulterated loathing. Aversion. Hatred. This victim of a computational conundrum clearly conveys the emotions that we have all experienced at one point or another. This aversion of a school subject is not easy to explain- it is simply present within us, like a hairball that has clogged the fountain of our thoughts, preventing all ideas from flowing out. Still, I believe that Nicki tackles the issue through the use of sarcasm, humor, and short but sweet phrases that give the article depth.

This story is indeed the tale of a suffering schoolgirl who is inclined to give in to the stress of the transition between middle school and high school, and cannot seem to admit that she may be in need of assistance. This situation is one that nobody can avoid, and is truly overwhelming as one enters the "realm of excessive homework, sleep deprivation, and lousy cafeteria food." Without being too straightforward, Nicki summarizes the troubles of a school that fails to understand what the top priority of every teenager is- living, breathing, and trying to change one's status from "facing a numerical nuisance" to "fighting for a future boyfriend." Kudos to you, Nicki, for your bravery in expressing your true emotions and your battle against the power of trigonometry. May the most valiant win!

AJ1999 said...
AJ1999, New York, New York

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

I LOVE your writing! I've always enjoyed reading your pieces of work and hope to continue to do so!!!!! <3

on Oct. 31 2012 at 8:45 am

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it!!! :)

on Oct. 31 2012 at 8:40 am
pandagirl312 GOLD, Leawood, Kansas
I like this review because of the summary. I had not previously read the article that you are discussing, but now I know what it is about. The only thing I would suggest is moving the summary up a bit so that it's not so close to the end. Nice job though! :)