Step Out of Your Isolation Zone | Teen Ink

Step Out of Your Isolation Zone MAG

By Bernard Slawomirski GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Bernard Slawomirski GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

“Step Out of Your Isolation Zone” by Whitney Jester is a moving article about isolation, a serious problem for teens today. Although it might not seem that teens are being isolated in society, given the growth of social networking and instant, long-distance communication, in reality, they are. It is a subtle predicament that takes a while to develop. When teens become self-centered and detach themselves from those around them, they essentially start separating themselves from the world. Over time this grows into a habit, and after a while it becomes an unfortunate lifestyle.

I appreciate that Whitney addresses this topic delicately and makes sure not to be overbearing. Instead of shaming us and forcing us into changing through the use of guilt, she inspires readers to improve for their own benefit, that of their loved ones, and for the world. Through a personal anecdote, she shows us how becoming aware and involved in our environment can lead to greater happiness and fulfillment.

Thank you, Whitney, for your willingness to address such a crucial problem. Writing and raising awareness about important challenges is an excellent way for all of us to step out of our shells of self-absorption and become an integral part of society. Through each small step in combating an obstacle, we pave the way to its ultimate resolution. Therefore, just as Whitney says, take courage and enter right into the real world.