Review of March Teen Ink Article "Plastic Perfection" | Teen Ink

Review of March Teen Ink Article "Plastic Perfection"

By ChelseaB SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
ChelseaB SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

"Hey, see if they've got any pie. Bring me some pie. I love me some pie."-Dean Winchester, Supernatural

Another article about how media changes young girls’ attitudes towards self-image and beauty at such a young, crucial age, it includes history and statistics to further back the point the author is trying to make about negative media and influences.
As I have responded previously to works written about how society and media have torn down our understanding of self-worth and beauty, this one resonates with me more strongly than any other I have read so far. This brings a new truth to the attention of teenage girls how damaging not only influences can be to us, but how damaging we can be to ourselves when negative thoughts turn into negative behaviors as we try to prefect ourselves to achieve total happiness. Though, as mentioned in the selection, Barbie dolls ‘hold jobs’ to show girls don’t have to be dependent on men or others, which is a very beneficial quality to learn as one grows. However, no matter how great Barbie dolls truly are, young girls surrounded by images of size 00 celebrities and diet products all hours of the day are likely going to feel they aren’t worth as much if they’re not all firm and toned with just skin and bone. I find all points valid and true, the passage was well written, and I’m glad this article was published.

So true.