Playing Favorites | Teen Ink

Playing Favorites

By TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

Jane Yolen has written over ninety books for children, teens and adults; her most popular genre in the teen department is historical fiction, having written novels such as The Devil's Arithmetic and The Girl in a Cage; she has also written cookbooks, song books, fairy-tales, children's stories and graphic novels. Peg Kehret writes primarily for young teens and mainly mysteries; yet she has also written nonfiction, such as two autobiographies and several books of monologues for teen actors, plus many DYI books. Catherine MacPhail is known internationally as a genius in horror and suspense, writing many ghost stories for teens. Philip Reeve is known best for his many fantasy novels such as Mortal Engines and Larklight, but has also written historical fiction and has illustrated children's books; Suzanne Weyn (yet to be posted interview) has written historical fiction, fantasy novels and a series about horses; Wendy Mass is most popular for her incredibly deep and unique characters such as Mia from A Mango Shaped Space.

These are just six out of the eleven (and counting) interviews I have done with incredible authors who posses incredible imagination. They don't simply write genres based on the current hype. Their books allow children, teens and pre-teens to explore their imagination and give them topics to contemplate and to have friendly debates with friends. Why is it that these authors are not worthy enough to find themselves of any interest to the teens or editors at Teen Ink?

Those who interview during the summer program are given special treatment opposed to those of us who work to find celebrities to interview. Why is it that those who attend a program and interview an author or other celebrity who has been contacted by Teen Ink and assigned to them should deserve to be published and not those who work hard and find people to interview without the help of a website?

Now I am not saying that my interviews are the greatest things to ever grace the face of this green earth and I'm not saying that every interview to have been published was written by a participant of the summer programs; but the majority of these interviews have been and many of these unpublished interviews are pushed aside and come in second to those written by the summer program's participants. This is not fair and a change needs to be made. We who work hard to be given a chance should have more of an opportunity at publication than those elect few who have these opportunities handed to them on silver platters.