Feedback on | Teen Ink

Feedback on

By Ada2006 BRONZE, New York, New York
Ada2006 BRONZE, New York, New York

The article, “I Am Autistic” by Chloe Anderson is fantastic because it describes the author’s true identity, and how she feels about herself. She says, “If you don’t know me, you might think I’m strange. But if you get to know me, you’ll understand why I’m constantly moving and dressing like I do.” The author acknowledges that she may be considered weird to others who do not know her, but it doesn’t stop her from being herself. She describes her identity as someone who  is not like what people read in books;In books, people imagine “heartless mad scientists injecting evil autism serum into vaccinations.” She describes that although she may have certain disabilities, she is just like any other teenager, with school, relationships, and more. She conveys that despite her being different, that shouldn’t stop her from being who she is.

This pertains to me because although I might not have a disability, I am still different from others around me. I grew up living a certain lifestyle where education is a given, and failing is not an option. There are moments where I feel isolated because I don’t use social media, join clubs, or do sports. As she states, “When I do things like this, when I am my autistic self, I feel free.” She encourages and makes me realize that being different is fine as long as you are being yourself. Although I can’t personally relate or say that I understand her, her motivation for following her passion is inspirational. Essentially, Anderson’s article, “I Am Autistic” is exceptional because her words are very descriptive that you can picture every word she writes; In addition to that, her words are relatable, and inspiring.